I am thrilled to be your child’s 8th grade English Language Arts teacher this 2019-2020 school year! This year will be full of reading various works from novels to short stories, along with a great deal of writing to get your child’s creative brains working and prepare them for high school. We will also be working on learning vocabulary and perfecting our grammar to a greater degree. This will be my first year teaching at Byram Middle School, and I am very excited to help your child succeed in ELA and grow as an individual.
In this classroom:
Students are the top priority. I find it important to value each student’s ideas, thoughts, emotions, and actions. However, I also hold each student to a high standard, and will not accept anything less. I will present rules, expectations, and procedures to each student and expect each student to follow these with integrity and respect. I also expect students to come to class prepared, organized, and ready to work. I am passionate about students being kind to one another, and I will hold every student to this very important standard. Bullying/unkindness is not tolerated in my classroom. I will work to create a sense of mutual respect between myself and each student in the classroom. Your child will need:
- Two sharpened pencils (or one mechanical) with erasers, along with a black and colored pen
- Four folders: one for reading, vocabulary, writing, and grammar
- Paper (loose leaf or notebook)
- A 3-ring, 2-inch binder
It is very important that we stay in contact and communicate with each other throughout the school year in order for both of us to ensure that your child is being successful and getting the best support he or she needs. If you have any questions, comments, or concerns about me or your child, feel free to reach out at any point. I will do my very best to be prompt when responding to you. I can be reached by school email, phone, or Remind Me.
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- School phone: 601-372-4597
- *sign up for Remind Me (this is best for communication)
- Download the Remind Me app from your Appstore (it’s free!)
- Once downloaded and signed up, go to your text messages and text @cgavingr to 81010