What are we planning for SY2021-2022?
During the 2020-2021 school year, the leadership of the Hinds County School District worked daily to develop re-entry scenarios, establish a baseline level of safety, and plan a responsive strategy that prioritized the health and safety of our community while leveraging our school’s agility.
Building upon those successful practices, we are planning a return to full in-person learning for the 2021-2022 school year.
We anticipate classes beginning Wednesday, August 11, 2021.
However, it is important to understand these plans are subject to change in response to public health conditions resulting from the COVID-19 pandemic fluctuate.
What health and safety measures will continue to be implemented in our schools?
- Jackson Hinds Comprehensive Health Center clinics on each campus – COVID-19 testing and vaccines are available for staff and students.
- Temperature screening for staff AND students daily
- Requirement for staff AND students to wear a mask/face-covering
- Hand sanitizer will be provided and frequently used in each classroom and throughout the buildings
- Regularly scheduled handwashing for all students and staff
- Staff members will be trained on CDC guidance to reduce likelihood of COVID-19 transmission
- Enhanced nightly cleaning in all schools
- Bipolar Ionization will be mounted inside the HVAC systems. This technology has been proven 99.4% effective against SARS-CoV2 which is the virus that causes COVID-19. This technology cleans the air and surfaces without the use of chemicals, heavy metals or mercury, and produces no harmful by- products such as ozone or ultra-violet light.
Will buses be available to transport students?
Yes. Your children will be able to ride buses, and those buses will operate at full capacity.
What are my next steps as a parent?
Please feel free to call your child’s school if you need assistance with any of these steps.
- REGISTER – If you have not already completed the online registration process, please do so no later than Friday, May 28. If you are unable to complete the registration process online, please call your child’s school, and they will assist you (Click Here).
- REGISTER - for a Parent Technology Academy (June 2021 and July 2021) (Click Here).
- PAY your child's TECHNOLOGY FEE prior by July 16, 2021 (Click Here).
When will I have an opportunity to visit the school and have a conference with my child’s teacher?
After you complete the three steps outlined above, your child’s school will contact you to confirm a time to meet with your child’s homeroom teacher in a small group setting. During this time, you will receive hands-on training on accessing the digital platform and tools we will use this year. You will also receive information specific to your child’s classes and school. These meetings will be held during assigned appointments only on Friday, August 6, 2021 or Monday, August 9, 2021.
How can I learn more about the technology tools the teachers will use with my child?
The HCSD Technology Team is offering Parent Technology Academies throughout the summer. Please click here to register to attentd a Parent Technology Academy.
Will a computer be provided for my child?
Yes. All students will be provided access to a computer. The following technology fees apply.
PK – 5th
6th – 12th
Location of Use
At School Only
At Home and School
Thank you for your continued support as we reimagine teaching and learning in the ever-changing landscape of COVID-19.